Workshops and online resources
Skill up and improve your knowledge with a range of workshops and online courses.
The Learning Innovation Hub offers a range of learning opportunities to cater for colleagues who are new to teaching as well as experienced academics.
Research Services supports researchers to apply for fellowship and grant opportunities with a wide range of workshops, seminars and online resources.
Access top-quality video courses taught by recognised industry experts on topics including Microsoft Office suite, project management, and communication.
On campus workshops
Register to attend a workshop on campus via HR Online. All workshops, unless otherwise stated, are held in the Human Resources Manly Training Room, Level 4, 17 Wally's Walk (C5C) and start at 9.30am sharp.
Workshop places are limited. Please cancel your registration if you are unable to attend a confirmed workshop, ensuring you do so at least three days prior to the course date so that your allocated place may be offered to others.
To cancel your registration, email the course name and date to email@example.com.
|Monday 16 September||An Introduction to University Governance||2.00pm - 4.00pm|
|Wednesday 18 September||An Overview: Delegations of Authority||2.00pm - 4.00pm|
|Wednesday 18 September||Introduction to Recruitment at MQ||9.00am - 12.00pm|
|Wednesday 25 September||Strengthening Personal Resilience: Staff||9.30am - 12.30pm|
|Tuesday 15 October||Introduction to Recruitment at MQ||9.00am - 12.00pm|
|Wednesday 16 October||Managing Complaints||1.00pm - 4.00pm|
|Monday 21 October||Managing Projects||9.30am - 4.30pm|
|Tuesday 29 October||Agenda Preparation and Minute Taking||9.30am - 12.30pm|
|Wednesday 13 November||Giving Effective Feedback||9.30am - 4.30pm|
|Thursday 14 November||Introduction to Recruitment at MQ||1.00pm - 4.00pm|
|Thursday 28 November||Strengthening Personal Resilience: Staff||9.30am - 12.30pm|
|Monday 9 December||Introduction to Recruitment at MQ||1.00pm - 4.00pm|
Writing to Persuade
- Learn how to present options concisely and in a balanced way.
- Understand how to decide what to put in and what to leave out.
- Learn two basic structures for presenting a case and develop the skills needed to be more efficient in your writing.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: Wednesday 22 May, Tuesday 9 July
An Introduction to University Governance
New to the University? Want to know how the University works, how decisions are made, and who makes them? Interested in learning the difference between Rules, Delegations and Policy? Then this workshop is for you.
Presented by Zoe Williams, Head of Governance, and Ellen Carlson, Manager Policy Unit, this session will provide participants with an Introduction to Governance at Macquarie. Topics covered will include the University's key Committees and instruments which guide decision making, an overview of the Policy Framework, and the role of Council and Academic Senate.
Duration: 2 hours Course dates: Monday 25 March, Wednesday 3 April, Monday 16 September
An Overview: Delegations of Authority
Have you commenced a new role at Macquarie? Want to know more about decisions you are authorised to make, of both a financial and non-financial nature? The Overview of University Delegations may be of interest to you.
This session presented by Zoe Williams, Head of Governance, and Ellen Carlson, Manager Policy Unit, will provide participants with an understanding of the overarching principles of delegation to support good governance. It will focus on the Delegations Register with specific reference to the role of agents and establishing an agent, addressing conflicts of interest, and procedures for requesting an amendment to the Register.
Duration: 2 hours Course dates: Monday 1 April, Wednesday 18 September
- Refresh core communication skills including active listening and questioning techniques.
- Build effectiveness in communicating clearly, confidently and assertively with others.
- Improve your confidence and effectiveness in communicating with others.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: Wednesday 13 March, Wednesday 15 May
Writing with Clarity
- Learn to write complex information in a clear and sensible way without losing accuracy or rigour.
- Understand how to write effective emails at work.
- Understand how to create a professional and helpful tone and choose the right words.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: Wednesday 8 May, Wednesday, 3 July
Agenda Preparation & Minute Taking
- Prepare meeting agendas
- Write notes, minutes and reports
- Follow up on decisions from meetings
- Understand the role of the Committee Officer and the Chair
Duration: 3 hours Course dates: Tuesday 29 October
- Develop the skills needed to initiate and plan a project effectively.
- Understand approaches to managing stakeholders on your projects.
- Develop methods to manage project team members to deliver set objectives.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: Monday 11 March, Tuesday 4 June, Thursday 15 August, Monday 21 October
Influencing Key Stakeholders
- Identify key stakeholders and their motivators.
- Develop realistic and achievable influence objectives.
- Present facts, ideas, and concerns in a persuasive manner.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: Wednesday 3 April, Wednesday 5 June
Strengthening Personal Resilience - Staff session
- Understand a practical, evidence-based model for strengthening resilience and developing mental fitness for coming through change.
- Explore the essential elements of building emotional resilience and the positive effects this can have on a number of areas of your life.
- Explore and challenge your current state of thinking to start to bridge the gap between what you know you should be doing to boost your resilience and what you are actually doing.
Duration: 3 hours Course dates: Tuesday 11 June, Wednesday 25 September, Thursday 28 November
Strengthening Staff and Personal Resilience During Change - Manager session
- Understand the psychological process that occurs in response to change and how it impacts well-being.
- Understand an evidence-based model for strengthening resilience and developing mental fitness in yourselves and your teams
- Explore the link between well-being and performance and reflect on your supportive leadership style and practical strategies you can put into practice to enhance this.
- Develop a personal and team well-being action-plan.
Duration: 3 hours Course dates: Thursday 18 July
Managing the Tough Stuff: Performance and Conduct Issues
- Improve your capability and confidence in managing performance and conduct issues with staff
- Make considered and purposeful decisions in addressing performance and conduct issues
- Have courageous conversations about performance and conduct issues with staff
- Improve your understanding of the procedural and legal frameworks regulating the management of unsatisfactory performance and conduct
Duration: 1 day Course dates: Tuesday 19 March, Wednesday 7 August
- Improve your knowledge about Macquarie University's procedures for managing staff complaints
- Understand your role as a manager in responding to and managing staff complaints
- Build skills to help you effectively manage staff complaints
Duration: 3 hours Course dates: Wednesday 16 October
Having Coaching Conversations
- Improve your effectiveness having coaching and developmental discussions
- Understand the value and importance of having proactive coaching/developmental discussions
- Understand and practice a model for having coaching/developmental discussions
- Gain skills and confidence in handling challenging coaching/developmental discussions
Duration: 1 day Course dates: Friday 17 May
- Identify the common causes of conflict
- Apply strategies to constructively address conflict
- Develop the necessary communication skills to turn conflict into an opportunity for positive change and development
Duration: 1 day Course dates: Tuesday 5 March
Introduction to Recruitment at MQ
- Understand MQ recruitment procedures
- Be aware of bias in recruitment and what actions can be taken to reduce bias and create inclusive recruitment practices
- Understand recruitment methods and how each one can lead to making more informed hiring decisions
Duration: 3 hours Course dates: Wednesday 18 September, Tuesday 15 October, Thursday 14 November, Monday 9 December
Giving Effective Feedback
- Recognise the importance of giving constructive feedback, and the need to adopt the right mindset to help achieve desired outcomes
- Familiarise participants with the key principles underpinning effective feedback based on the latest research
- Share a simple feedback model to enable feedback to be given with ease
- Help participants manage emotions
- Provide participants with opportunities to apply the model during the workshop and receive feedback on their feedback skills. Actors are utilised to make the practical activities as ‘real’ as possible and maximise learning
Duration: 1 day Course dates: Wednesday 13 November
Improve your Time Management
- Define the core purpose of you and your team within the organisation
- Explain the ‘above the line’ model and determine how you and can adopt this concept to take more initiative with your day to day planning
- Use a prioritisation matrix to order your weekly tasks
- Identify your key professional goals
- State how to politely and professionally say ‘no’ to an unreasonable request
- Discuss techniques that allow you to proactively manage email
- Identify what habits and techniques you could start, stop or continue to more effectively manage your time
Duration: 1 day Course dates: Wednesday 21 August
Responding to Mental Illness
- Recognise common signs and symptoms of mental illness
- Respond to people with difficult behaviours or early signs of mental illness
- Know where and how to get help
Facilitator: Dr Benjamin L Wilkes (Clinical Psychologist, MAPS MCCLP), Associate Director, Student Wellbeing
Duration: Two hours Course dates: Monday 15 April
Linkedin Learning video library
Linkedin Learning is a leading online learning platform that allows you to develop your business, software, technology and creative skills to support your personal and professional goals.
Macquarie University staff have full access to the Linkedin Learning video library of engaging tutorials, taught by recognised industry experts. There are thousands of courses available for learners of all levels, with more added every week. Whether it's through full courses or bite-sized videos, you'll be able to learn something new, strengthen your skills, or solve a problem.
A suggested playlist for popular topics is available below, or simply log in and search for your preferred subject.
To access Linkedin Learning, click here.
Learn how to communicate more effectively in professional situations, including meetings, email and presentations.
|Beginner||1 hour, 24 minutes|
|Communication Tips Weekly|
Hone your communication skills with this ongoing series of communication hints and tips.
|Appropriate for all||2 - 5 minutes per week|
Learn tools, strategies and techniques to help you sound more confident, use body and language to express ideas and overcoming speaking anxiety.
|Intermediate||1 hour, 28 minutes|
Discover the secrets to effective business writing and crafting messages that others want to read and act on.
|Beginner||1 hour, 32 minutes|
Discover how to avoid the most common grammar mistakes and improve the clarity of your writing.
|Appropriate for all||2 hours, 11 minutes|
|Intermediate||1 hour, 21 minutes|
Learn what the best influencers do before they influence, and see how to choose the best steps for your situation and have people want to be influenced by you.
|Beginner||1 hour, 16 minutes|
|Conflict Resolution Foundations|
Improve your relationships with co-workers, clients, and managers and find your way through conflict back to cooperation.
|Working with Upset Customers|
Learn proven techniques to neutralise negative situations with angry and upset customers and reduce the likelihood of problems occurring in future.
|Appropriate for all||55 minutes|
Learn the basics of critical thinking, an essential tool for problem solving and decision making.
|Appropriate for all||1 hour, 6 minutes|
Project Management Foundations
|Beginner||3 hours, 20 minutes|
|Agile Project Management Principles|
Learn tools and techniques to successfully manage projects through the agile life cycle.
|Appropriate for all||1 hour, 16 minutes|
|Microsoft Project 2016 Essential Training|
Master the essential features of Project 2016 and project management techniques such as creating and scheduling tasks, assigning resources and running reports.
|Beginner||5 hours, 5 minutes|
Productivity and time management
Learn to help everyone on your team boost their productivity with these easy simplification habits.
|Appropriate for all||39 minutes|
Improve your productivity, get things done, and find more time for what's most important with this weekly series of actionable time management tips.
|Appropriate for all||2 - 5 minutes per week|
|Efficient Time Management|
Learn the techniques the most efficient people use to manage their tasks and maximise their time.
|Appropriate for all||2 hours|
Discover how to get the most out of your meetings, turning them into productive avenues for communicating, connecting and accomplishing real work.
Learn how to enter and organise data, create formulas and functions, build charts and pivot tables.
|Beginner||8 hours, 53 minutes|
Get tips, tricks and keyboard shortcuts that will increase your efficiency with Outlook 2016.
|Intermediate||3 hours, 41 minutes|
|OneNote 2016 Essentials Training|
Learn how to use OneNote to create, edit and save important notes.
|Beginner||3 hours, 46 minutes|
Learn how to connect and transform your data with Power BI Desktop, Microsoft’s powerful data analysis and visualisation software.
|Intermediate||2 hours, 52 minutes|
Management and leadership
Offers two new management tips each week to help you learn to improve communication, increase motivation, deal with conflict and build better relationships.
|Appropriate for all||2 - 5 minutes per week|
Learn about the multiple roles involved in leadership and how to effectively balance them for greater success.
|Beginner||1 hour, 8 minutes|
Increase your emotional intelligence at work so that you’re better equipped to lead teams, work with peers, and manage up.
|Intermediate||1 hour, 46 minutes|
Learn coaching skills that will help you to support the development and growth of your team members.
|Intermediate||1 hour, 5 minutes|
Recommended Health and Wellbeing courses
|Balancing Work and Life|
Learn smart strategies to make work a focus at work and give yourself time to enjoy your time at home.
|Appropriate for all||28 minutes|
|Leverage the Connection between Wellbeing and Productivity|
Learn how your well-being can contribute to your productivity and success at work.
|Appropriate for all||41 minutes|
This course offers practical steps you can take to build resilience over time by changing how we process negative events and by expressing gratitude for the good things in our life.
|Appropriate for all||20 minutes|
|Managing Stress for Positive Change|
Train yourself to use stress in more effective ways; and what managers can do to reduce employee stress when an organisation experiences difficult times.
|Appropriate for all||57 minutes|
|Managing in Difficult Times|
As a leader you will learn important tools for keeping you and your team focused, inspired, and effective during times of change or crisis.
|Appropriate for all||1 hour, 7 minutes|
Identify your triggers, how to get to the root of your anger, and how to channel anger to your highest good.
|Learning how to unplug and recharge|
Learn how to: recharge, reconnect with yourself, identify your triggers, meditate, find hidden tension, track energy and movement.
|Appropriate for all||37 minutes|
Learn practical, actionable techniques for finding more time for the things you love and maximizing your day-to-day happiness.
|Appropriate for all||3 hours, 31 minutes|
Discover the fundamentals of mindfulness and learn step-by-step methods that will help you deal with stress, anxiety, fear, worry, and self-doubt, and how to increase confidence, peak performance, and connection with others.
|Appropriate for all||1 hour, 16 minutes|
|Meditation and Sleep|
Learn about the benefits of meditation and sleep.
|Appropriate for all||57 minutes|
|Facing Challenges with Gratitude and Forgiveness|
Discover how to face challenges, consider the impact of your attitude, practice forgiveness and gratitude, identify feats and reflect.
|Appropriate for all||34 minutes|
|Communicating with Empathy|
Learn the principles of empathetic communication and specific strategies to help improve your approach to difficult conversations.
|Beginner||1 hour, 14 minutes|
|Understanding the link between Giving and Success|
Discover the link between giving and success, by putting life into context, the power of giving, defining your own success.
|Appropriate for all||24 minutes|
Take advantage of exclusive access to the award-winning, highly-rated Excel Skills for Business series (Essentials to Advanced) on Coursera - one of the largest online learning platforms in the world. All staff at Macquarie University are invited to participate in the online Excel courses for free. Visit the webpage to register.
Alternatively, attend courses on Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word and PowerPoint at no charge to your faculty or office. Courses are available via New Horizons to all fixed-term and continuing staff. Please discuss your preferred course with your manager and register via the Training Schedule.
Diversity and Inclusion workshops
Macquarie University aspires to be a leader in promoting workplace equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives through a range of workshops and programs designed to engage, empower and support members of our community.
Workshops offered by our Diversity and Inclusion Team include:
- LGBTIQ+ inclusion in the workplace
- Cultural intelligence
- Disability confidence for managers and supervisors
- Envisage - create your future
- Confident conversations to create mentally healthy teams
To find more information or register for a workshop, click here.
Need more help?
Contact the Organisation and Development Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.