Travelling overseas

Travelling overseas

When you are travelling overseas you must remember to do these things:

Have you had your trip approved? If you aren’t sure how to do that, review the steps in the travel and booking process and make sure you book your trip with an approved travel group.

Do you need to contact Risk and Assurance? You do if you are:

  • taking university equipment with a value of $50K 
  • travelling to a high risk region 
  • undertaking a high risk activity – if you're not sure, ask us.    

Have you researched your destination? For information on culture, religion and the political environment see Smart traveller.

Check that your vaccinations are current and up to date for the region you are travelling to. If you're not sure, check out Smart traveller.


You must have valid and correct insurance when travelling on University business. Check out the insurance section.   

What happens if there is an emergency?

The University has an agreement with emergency assistance provider International SOS,  a leading medical assistance, international healthcare and security assistance company, to provide 24/7 resources for those on university-related international business travel.

International SOS provides resources by phone +61 (2) 9372 2468, online, app or on the ground to help with any medical, security or logistical concerns.

Before you go

Register with International SOS – you will need your Macquarie membership number to do so.

Need more information?

Back to the top of this page