English Language Centre Student Cancellations
The Macquarie University English Language Centre (ELC) Student Cancellations Policy covers any scenario in which a student transitioning from Access Macquarie Limited to Macquarie University at the ELC wishes to cancel their existing enrolment and to withdraw from their ELC studies.
The Policy defines the process of formalising the cancellation and the information that needs to be collected and reported via PRISMS to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) in the event that there is a change to the student’s enrolment.
This policy covers any scenario in which a student transitioning from Access Macquarie Limited to Macquarie University at the Macquarie University English Language Centre (ELC) wishes to cancel their existing enrolment and to withdraw from their ELC studies.
The policy defines the process of formalising the cancellation and the information that needs to be collected and reported via PRISMS to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) in the event that there is a change to the student’s enrolment.
Any ELC student who is transitioning from Access Macquarie Limited to Macquarie University, whether they are on a package offer to Macquarie University (the University), or an English Only offer.
The process needs to be followed by Student Services and the ELC Admissions team.
3 POLICY STATEMENT
1. Students may apply to cancel their studies at any time before or during their enrolment.
2. A refund will not be given in the case of the course having commenced at the time of a cancellation.
3. Where an advertised course is cancelled, and another acceptable course is not available to the student, the student's enrolment will be cancelled and a full refund given.
4. ELC may suspend or cancel a student's enrolment on the following grounds:
i. where the student's behaviour contravenes the ELC Student Code of Behaviour;
ii. for non-payment of fees as required in the written agreement between the student and the University;
iii. the student is in breach of their visa requirements as they have failed to meet the required attendance and progression requirements; and
iv. any other grounds that the University deems as reasonable grounds to suspend or cancel the student’s enrolment.
5. If ELC and the University initiate a suspension or cancellation of a student’s enrolment, the following will occur:
i. the student will be advised in writing to their student email and by post that their enrolment may be suspended or cancelled; and
ii. the student will be provided information on their right to appeal the decision within twenty (20) working days. The student will be directed to the ELC’s Complaints and Appeals Policy for further information; and
iii. it will be recommended to the student that they should seek advice from the DHA on the impact that a suspension or cancellation will have on their visa.
6. Where a student appeals against cancellation of enrolment, in order to enforce ELC's statutory duty of care obligations, or for protection of the Centre's property, ELC may choose to exclude the student from classes throughout the appeal process.
Students can apply for a cancellation of their enrolment via student services using the Cancellation to Enrolment form.
4 KEY RELATED DOCUMENTS
- Cancellation to enrolment form
- Cancel student Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
MUIC-ELC Governance Manager
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)
Date of Commencement
Date for Review
ELC Conditions of Enrolment
CoE, Enrolment, Cancellation