Workshops and resources
Skill up and improve your knowledge with a range of workshops and online courses.
The Learning Innovation Hub offers a range of learning opportunities to cater for colleagues who are new to teaching as well as experienced academics.
The Research Office supports researchers apply for fellowship and grant opportunities with a wide range of workshops, seminars and online resources.
Access top-quality video courses taught by recognised industry experts on topics including Microsoft Office suite, project management, and communication.
On campus workshops
Register to attend a workshop on campus via HR Online. All workshops, unless otherwise stated, are held in the Human Resources Manly Training Room, Level 4, C5C Building and start at 9.30am sharp.
To cancel your registration, email the course name and date to firstname.lastname@example.org. Three days’ notice prior to the course date is required.
|14 June 2017||Resilience through times of change||half day|
|27 June 2017||Lean Thinking||half day|
|28 June 2017||Building your emotional resilience (part 2)||half day|
|29 June 2017||Managing projects||1 day|
|20 July 2017||Communicating effectively||1 day|
|26 July 2017||Writing with clarity||1 day|
|2 August 2017||Building your emotional resilience (part 1)||half day|
|2 August 2017||Building your emotional resilience (part 2)||half day|
|11 August 2017||Having coaching conversations (for managers)||1 day|
|25 August 2017||Minute taking||1 day|
|6 September 2017||Managing conflict||1 day|
|21 September 2017||Influencing key stakeholders||1 day|
|11 October 2017||Writing to persuade||1 day|
|12 October 2017||Managing projects||1 day|
Writing to persuade
- Learn how to present options concisely and in a balanced way.
- Understand how to decide what to put in and what to leave out.
- Learn two basic structures for presenting a case and develop the skills needed to be more efficient in your writing.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: 11 October
- Refresh core communication skills including active listening and questioning techniques.
- Build effectiveness in communicating clearly, confidently and assertively with others.
- Improve your confident and effectiveness in communicating with others.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: 20 July
Writing with clarity
- Learn to write complex information in a clear and sensible way without losing accuracy or rigour.
- Understand how to write effective emails at work.
- Understand how to create a professional and helpful tone and choose the right words.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: 26 July
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of minute takers for all levels of committee at the University.
- Identify what to include and omit from your minutes.
- Save time in preparing minutes.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: 25 August
Lean thinking at MQ
- Interactive workshop to identify key concepts of Lean.
- Become familiar with the lean principles.
- Workshop will provide an overview of how Lean is used at Macquarie University.
Duration: half day Course dates: 27 June
- Develop the skills needed to initiate and plan a project effectively.
- Understand approaches to managing stakeholders on your projects.
- Develop methods to manage project team members to deliver set objectives.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: 29 June, 12 October
Influencing key stakeholders
- Identify key stakeholders and their motivators.
- Develop realistic and achievable influence objectives.
- Present facts, ideas, and concerns in a persuasive manner.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: 21 September
- Identify the common causes of conflict.
- Apply strategies to constructively address conflict.
- Develop the necessary communication skills to turn conflict into an opportunity for positive change and development.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: 6 September
Building your emotional resilience – part 1
- Understand a practical, evidence-based model of positive well-being.
- Explore the essential elements of building emotional resilience and the positive effects this can have on a number of areas of your life.
- Understand the theory of signature strengths and how these are used in everyday life to improve wellbeing.
- Explore and challenge your current state of thinking to start to bridge the gap between what you know you should be doing to boost your resilience and what you are actually doing.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: 2 August
Building your emotional resilience – part 2
- Identify the causes of stress and examine the typical responses to stress.
- Reframe stress and use coping strategies to reduce the negative impact it can have on physiological, behavioural and emotional wellbeing.
- Dive deeper into helpful and unhelpful thinking styles and learn how to ensure your thinking works in a beneficial for you.
- Regulate your emotions and perform during challenging times when you may feel under pressure.
Duration: half day Course dates: 28 June, 2 August
Resilience through times of change
- Examine the concept of personal control in times of change and how to focus your energy to be more "proactive" rather than "re-active".
- Learn the psychological re-orientation process that occurs in response to change.
Duration: half day Course dates: 14 June
Mental health awareness
- Understand what mental health is.
- Know the behavioural indicators.
- How to work with someone with a mental illness.
- The role of the manager/academic supervisor.
Duration: 2 hours Course dates: TBC
- Improve your emails with powerful content that achieves better cut-through and gets your audience to take action
- Find the balance between what you need to say and what our staff and student audiences want to hear
- Specially tailored course by highly regarded industry expert for Macquarie staff, particularly those emailing many staff and students
Register your interest by emailing email@example.com
Having coaching conversations (for managers)
- Improve your effectiveness having coaching and developmental discussions.
- Understand the value and importance of having proactive coaching/developmental discussions.
- Understand and practice a model for having coaching/developmental discussions.
- Gain skills and confidence in handling challenging coaching/developmental discussions.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: 11 August
Making informed hiring decisions (for managers)
- Improve your effectiveness in conducting behavioural interviews and making hiring decisions.
- Plan your selection process to target relevant criteria.
- Prepare for and conducting behavioural interviews.
- Evaluate and rate responses to interview questions.
- Make more balanced, objective and informed recruitment decisions.
Duration: half day Course dates: TBC
Giving performance feedback (for managers)
- Improve your effectiveness in giving constructive feedback.
- Understand the importance and value of giving constructive feedback.
- Understand and practice a model for giving constructive feedback.
- Understand how to deal with different responses and emotional reactions to feedback.
Duration: 1 day Course dates: TBC
Attend courses on Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word and PowerPoint at no charge to your faculty or office. Courses are available via New Horizons to all fixed-term and continuing staff. Please discuss your preferred course with your manager and register via the Training Schedule.
Need more help?
Contact the Organisation and Development Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.