Postgraduate scholarships provide high potential and high performing professional staff financial assistance for part-time post-graduate level study at Macquarie University or MGSM.
The scholarship covers all tuition fees for the duration of the program for which the scholarship has been awarded. Funding is for a maximum of four years, the equivalent of studying at a masters level on a part-time basis.
Round 1 applications open 18 March 2019 to 12 April 2019
Round 2 applications open 9 September 2019 to 3 October 2019
- Review the terms and conditions below
- Obtain conditional acceptance to the course/program
- Complete the application form [PDF] [RTF] and attach supporting documentation including:
- conditional acceptance to course/program
- a statement of support from the Head of Faculty / Office including:
- how the program is relevant to the work area and University
- the program it will support the staff member's potential contribution to either more senior roles in the University and/or their profession
Scan and email your complete application to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date.
- Have not completed formal studies in the last 3 years
- Have not previously undertaken study at a post-graduate level
- Demonstrate a track record of achievement in their career
- Have the endorsement of their Head of Faculty/ Department/ Office
- Have obtained conditional acceptance to their nominated degree
- Demonstrate that their chosen program:
- builds on their knowledge, skills and abilities
- is directly applicable their current role
- is relevant their career within the University
- has been identified as both a career aspiration and development activity in their PDR
Fees and costs
Tuition fee payments are made directly to the relevant faculty of study. Scholarship recipients must meet all compulsory student fees and the costs of any books, technology, field trips or materials required to complete the course.
Scholarship recipients need to commence study in the same year the scholarship is awarded, and to complete their study within the required timeframe for their post graduate programme.
Scholarship holders must meet at least the minimum progress rules for the course of study to continue the scholarship. You will be required to pass each unit undertaken in order to maintain your scholarships (except in exceptional circumstances).
Discuss with your manager how you will balance your study and work commitments. You may also choose to apply for education leave for study that is directly relevant to your work.
You can request approval to defer commencement or completion of your studies. Your request will be considered based on work and/or personal challenges and will firstly. Only one approved deferment will be permitted for the duration of the program.
To defer, submit a written request to your manager. Your request should:
- Demonstrate preapproval from MGSM or relevant faculty of study to defer
- Explain your reasons for deferment
- Outline your timeframe for completing your studies.
After receiving your manager’s approval, email your written request email@example.com for final approval by the Organisation Development Unit and Director, Human Resources.
End of program report
Within 6 months of the end of the course or program, you are required to complete a report that describes:
- how the program has assisted you in meeting your objectives as stated in your application
- how you are applying the skills and knowledge in your work
- how you have specifically applied 1 or more of the modules studied to benefit a project, your workplace or the University
- others ways in which your participation in the program has been of benefit to the University
Forward this report to your Head of Office/ Department/ Faculty, and to the Manager, Organisation and Staff Development.
Your scholarship will cease if you leave employment with Macquarie University. If you choose to continue the rest of your studies you will need to make alternative payment arrangements directly with the University/MGSM for the remainder of your program. If you leave the University notify the Organisation Development Unit and the relevant Faculty of study or MGSM course manager.
Need more help?
Contact the Organisation Development Team at firstname.lastname@example.org