Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT)
The Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT) for both academic and professional staff, now open for applications.
- Staff interested in applying must contact their Associate Dean, Learning and Teaching and/or team Directors and the Office of PVC Learning & Teaching in advance of deadlines to express interest in applying and any pre-nomination requests and process.
- All endorsed nominations will be registered and submitted by the Office of PVC Learning and Teaching on behalf of the Vice-Chancellor.
Instructions and forms
Categories, key dates
The three AAUT Award categories are:
Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning recognise and reward the diversity of contributions made by individuals and teams to the quality of student learning.
In 2020, up to 100 citations will be awarded across the following seven categories:
Maximum of six Citation submissions per institution and the maximum number awarded to each institution is five. Access the Award Nomination Pack for:
Awards for Programs that Enhance Learning recognise learning and teaching support programs or services that make innovative and outstanding contributions to student learning and/or the quality of the student experience.
In 2020, one award will be given in each of the following categories (six awards in total):
Maximum of two Program Awards submissions per institution across all categories. Access the Award Nomination Pack for:
Important note: These Awards are open to team nominations only.
Awards for Teaching Excellence recognise Australia’s most outstanding university teachers or teaching teams who have demonstrated excellence, leadership and sustained commitment to teaching and learning in higher education.
In 2020, one award will be given across each of the following categories (seven awards in total):
Maximum of three Teaching Awards submissions per institution across all categories. Access the Award Nomination Pack for:
Resources for nominees
For assistance developing and writing your award nomination, see
- AAUTN (Australian Awards University Teachers Network) Award Mentor Scheme
- Assessors Tips on Writing a Successful Application (2019)
- The Impact Management Planning and Evaluation Ladder (IMPEL)
- Tips for Completing Citation, Teaching and Program Award Applications by Curtin University
- Teaching Award Support: Best Practice Exemplars from NSW/ACT Promoting Excellence Network
2019 Citation award
|Dr Prashan Karunaratne||For excellence in engaging, equipping and empowering students and lecturers to achieve transformative and equitable outcomes in Economics and Excel - in classrooms, boardrooms and beyond.|
|Dr Murray Taylor||For excellence in shaping immersive learning environments that support diverse cohorts and positively impact student, educator, and institutional engagement.|
2018 Citation award
|Dr Iqbal Barkat and Dr Karen Pearlman||For facilitating student engagement, collaboration, communication and employability in screen production through the development of consolidated curricula and delivery which includes intensive teaching.|
2017 Citation award
|Dr. Neil Harrison||For leadership and innovation in curricula development that ensures the inclusion of local Indigenous community knowledge in urban locations in teacher education|
|Corinne Sullivan||For the development of a transformative and motivating learning space in Indigenous Studies that has inspired students to critically and sensitively reflect on their perspectives and world views|
|Dr. Kira Westaway||For the creation of effective earth science learning environments that support different learning styles and positively impact on the student experience|
2017 Program award
|PACE team||For educational partnerships and collaborations with other organisations.|
- Award-winning duo represent the future of teaching - 2019 AAUT Citation award recipients
- “The excitement is palpable” Screen production duo recognised at national teaching awards 2018
- Three Citation 2017 award recipients
- PACE team for the 2017 programs award.