Activating and administrating iLearn spaces
On this page, you will find information on how to activate and manage an iLearn space, including how to manage staff and student access and activate your iLearn space for each new study period through iTeach.
Discover how to navigate these different processes in the quick guides below:
Activating an iLearn space
The ‘My iLearn spaces’ section of iTeach is where a unit’s iLearn space is activated for each new study period. It is also where the availability of the iLearn space is controlled for students and other staff.
- Before the start of each study period, you should receive an email notification from your Department Manager advising that you have been assigned an iLearn space to manage in iTeach.
- Log into iTeach
- Click on My iLearn spaces and find the unit you wish to create the iLearn space for and click Create a new iLearn space.
iLearn space title and Delivery mode
In this section you can confirm the name and delivery mode of the iLearn space.
- Add any custom text to the iLearn space title if required and select the Delivery Mode from the available options.
- Click Next.
You can add text to the title of your iLearn space. See examples below…
Select Initial Content
In this section you can choose whether to base the iLearn space on a previous unit or to start from scratch using a blank template.
- Select one from the three Initial Content options available.
- Click Next.
Student Access Dates
In this section you can set the student access dates for the iLearn space.
- The default dates for access to the unit are set to the start and end of session. You can modify these dates by clicking on the calendar icons and select the new dates you want to change student access from and/or when you want the iLearn space to change to read-only.
- Click Next .
Add Teaching Staff
In this section you can add additional teaching staff that require access to the iLearn space.
- In the Staff Name field, enter the staff member’s name. Once you find the right person, select by clicking on their name.
- Assign Role from the available options.
- Click Add Teaching Staff and the staff member’s details will appear in the list above.
- Ensure your name also appears in this list as an iLearn Convenor. Having access to an iLearn space in iTeach doesn’t necessarily give you convenor access in iLearn.
- Click Next.
Access permissions for each role
Add resources and activities
Import content from other iLearn units
Interact with students
Assess student work
View unit resources and activities
Observer – Read only access
Add Student Enrolments
In this section you can select the student cohort/s that will have access to the iLearn space.
- The system will automatically include the internal and external cohorts for the unit. Check to confirm these are correct. If they are not correct click on Remove next to the cohort name.
- If required, click on the Add Student Enrolments field, start typing the unit code of the student cohort you wish to enrol e.g. AHIS360. Once you find the right cohort, click on it to select. Repeat this process to add additional cohorts. If the unit code only has three letters, you need to ensure you type a space between the letters and numbers, e.g. BBA 100.
- Click Next.
- Scroll down the page and view all sections. If any sections are incorrect, click Previous and go back to make changes.
- Read through the Policy Statement. If you agree, tick to certify that you have read and understood the policy.
- Click Create this iLearn space.
The new iLearn space will now appear under My iLearn spaces. If a green egg timer appears in the Link column, it means the iLearn space is being processed. In peak periods, your iLearn space may take up to 24 hours to appear.
The new iLearn space will have an Orange traffic light status indicating that the space is ready to be accessed from the start date specified in the Student Access Date section. On this date, the traffic light will change to Green. The Green traffic light indicates that your students have access to the iLearn space.
Making changes to the iLearn space
After the iLearn space has been created you can make administrative changes to it at any time using iTeach. For example, you may wish to change the student access date or add new teaching staff. To make a change in iTeach:
- Under My iLearn space, find the iLearn space you wish to make changes to and click Edit.
- Click Edit in the section you wish to make changes to.
- This will take you to another page where you can make the relevant changes.
- Click OK once the changes have been made.
- Scroll down the page and click Update this iLearn space.
The traffic lights are a guide to show you the unit status.
Red traffic light – Not available to students.
Activate your unit by clicking Edit, making sure you have student cohorts and the appropriate dates set.
Amber traffic light - Pending
The iLearn space will become available to students on a specified date.
Green traffic light – Students have access.
Your iLearn space is available to you students.
Greyed out green traffic light- Read only.
Your iLearn space is read only to students.
Copying an iLearn space - How will content come across?
For each study period, you will need to activate a new iLearn space for your unit through iTeach. If the unit is the same or similar to an existing iLearn space that you have convenor access to, you can simply create a copy of this space through iTeach. For example, if you are the convenor of BBA100 in Session 1 2012, and it is running again in session 2, you would create a new copy of this unit called BBA 100 Session 2 2012. You can then go ahead and make any changes and updates in the iLearn space for session 2.
When an iLearn space is copied, all resources; activities (excluding any user content e.g. forum postings, databases, glossary contributions or wikis); quizzes and question bank; topic headings and summaries; blocks; links; Gradebook columns and structure (excluding grades); and groups and groupings are copied across. In the new iLearn space, some appear as exact copies, some lose content, while others require further work to be used. Below is a brief summary of how these activities, resources, and other content will be affected.
The Echo 360 block is copied across. It will link to recordings for the new study period that the new iLearn space has been created for. Be sure to book your Echo recordings if you belong to a faculty where this does not occur automatically. If you would like to link to recordings from the previous study period, you can do this by managing recordings through the Echo Staff Tool.
Student-generated data from activities such as forums, databases, glossaries, and wikis are NOT copied across. If you would like to reuse content from an activity, refer to this Quick Guide for some options.
Teaching Staff or Students from the previous study period are NOT copied across. You will need to add them to your new iLearn space for the new study period through iTeach.
Turnitin Assignments are copied across but link back to the previous session's assignments. We advise you delete the old Turnitin assignments, refresh your browser and then re-create new Turnitin assignments.
Single Simple Discussion forums will retain the first posting as it is set up in the Introduction section of this type of forum. However, as staff are not copied across, this posting will appear to have been made by ‘Web service’. If you would like to reuse the posting, copy and paste the first posting to the Introduction field of the forum settings.
Managing staff access in an iLearn space
You can add or remove other teaching staff to your iLearn space via iTeach.
- Log into iTeach
To add or remove staff:
- Click on My iLearn spaces and locate the iLearn space where you wish to add or remove staff.
- Click Edit under the Actions column.
- Locate the Teaching Staff section and click Edit. This is now a repeat of the steps found in Activating an iLearn space.
- In the Staff Name field, enter the staff member’s name. You will notice that the system will try to predict the name you are entering. Once you find the right person, select by clicking on their name.
Refer to the information sheet Summary of iLearn Roles to see the level of access each role has in iLearn.
Assign Role from the available options.
Click Add Teaching Staff and the staff member’s details will appear in the list above.
- Click OK.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Update this iLearn space.
Changing student access dates for an iLearn space
Once an iLearn space reaches the Date on which access changes to read-only specified in iTeach, the unit will become read only for both students and staff. All staff with a Convenor, Lecturer or Tutor role in an iLearn space will change over to the Lecturer-Read Only role after this date. Student access will become Student – Read Only, meaning they will be able to view but no longer contribute to the unit.
To change the Student Access Dates for an iLearn unit:
- Log into iTeach
- Click on My iLearn space.
- Click Edit under the Actions column for the iLearn space you wish to change the access dates for.
- Scroll down to Student Access Dates and click the Edit button.
- Click on the calendar icons and select the new dates you want to change student access from and/or when you want the iLearn space to change to read-only.
- Click OK.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the preview page and click Update this iLearn space.