Live, interactive and recorded lectures
The Echo360 Active Learning Platform is the University's lecture recording system. It facilitates the automated capture and delivery of recordings to students through iLearn. The system also allows academics to upload recordings from other sources such as desktop capture and provides features to enhance lecture presentations with interactivity including student polling and quizzes which can be run during lectures. Staff and students access the platform via the Echo360 Active Learning Platform block link in iLearn. In most cases the audio and presentation screen is recorded (microphones may pick up audio from across the lecture room) and in some rooms a camera view of the presentation area is available.
Find out more about Echo360 Active Learning Platform in the quick guides below
Enabling Echo360 Active Learning Platform in your Unit
The Echo360 Active Learning Platform is accessed by staff and students through iLearn units. To enable the Active Learning Platform edit your iLearn unit page and add the ‘Active Learning Platform’ block. The link created will be used by staff to prepare and present interactive presentations, upload videos, edit recordings and their details and view analytics. Students will use the same link to view recordings, live streams and participate in interactive presentations.
Engaging, Interactive Presentations
The Echo360 Active Learning Platform can be used to deliver interactive presentations. Use the platform to prepare a presentation that includes slides with quizzes, questions and polls. During the lecture, ask students to participate by answering the quizzes and polls using their own devices. Results are gathered in real-time and can be displayed to students during the lecture. These features are useful for encouraging student engagement and gauging the level of student comprehension of topics while delivering a lecture.
After the lecture, you can review analytics including an overview of participation, down to individual student responses to each quiz and poll.
Interactive Presentation Guides
- Creating a presentation
- Adding PowerPoint and PDF slides to a presentation
- Video tutorial for creating a presentation
- Adding interactive quizzes and polls to a presentation
- Play a video in an interactive slide
- Video tutorial for adding interactivity to a presentation
- Practical, pedagogical ideas on adding interactivity to your lecture
Click on a presentation title to display it during a lecture. Instruct your students to login to iLearn and click the same presentation.
- Display analytics
- Understanding the analytic metrics
- Student quiz and poll responses
- Student Q&A
- Video tutorial for analytics
A short video demonstrating how to set up an interactive class in iLearn using Echo360 Active Learning Platform.
Lecture Recording Overview
The platform automatically records lectures from over 150 theatres and classrooms across campus. It is also possible to upload videos files and desktop capture recordings. The platform even provides desktop capture software which you can download and install to create and publish desktop and webcam recordings from home or office.
Automatic Lecture Recordings
Timetabled lectures that match these conditions are setup to automatically record;
- The lecture is in a venue that supports Echo360 automated capture.
- The lecture is described as ‘lecture’, ‘seminar’ or ‘lectorial’ in the timetable system. Classes described as ‘tutorial’ or ‘workshop’ etc. are not automatically recorded.
- Only first lecture delivered for each topic and not repeat lectures of the same topic.
In the majority of venues, the projected screen is captured along with the presenter’s voice. Some venues are only capable of producing audio recordings. Other venues contain an installed video camera, however video cameras are not automatically recorded unless by request at https://onehelp.mq.edu.au See https://staff.mq.edu.au/support/technology/audiovisual/rooms-and-facilities-guide for a list of venues and their automated recording capabilities.
Uploading Videos and Desktop Capture
You can upload video files to the Echo360 Active Learning Platform, and files are processed into standard formats and made available to students. See this guide for instructions on uploading video files. Software called ‘Echo360 ALP Universal Capture’ can be downloaded from the Echo360 Active Learning Platform and installed on your desktop or laptop allowing you to create desktop / webcam recordings and upload these directly to the platform. See the guides below for information on installing and using the Universal Capture software.
Lecture Recording Guides
Recordings automaticallycommence 3 minutes past the scheduled starting hour and stop recording 3 minutes to the concluding hour. To successfully create an automated recording scheduled in any of the supported theatres and classrooms, simply use the AV system to project your presentation and use any of the available microphones to amplify and record your voice. Use the AV touchpanel to toggle the recording mute function and check that it not inadvertently left on during your lecture. AVTS x7571, can assist with use of the venue AV facilities.
If the venue you are lecturing in is listed as ‘SC’ or ‘SCV’ on this list; https://staff.mq.edu.au/support/technology/audiovisual/rooms-and-facilities-guide
you can opt-in to live stream your lectures. The ‘SCV’ venues contain an installed video camera, which will record automatically. Requests to disable the video camera streaming and recording feature can be made through OneHelp.
Live streaming gives students the flexibility to remotely view your lecture live in addition to watching the recording on demand. To maximise student engagement, you can combine live streaming with the use of interactive presentations and the student Q&A feature. Students can now watch and participate in real-time, adding value to the live streamed lecture. Request live streaming at https://onehelp.mq.edu.au and note if you would like any installed video camera enabled.
Live Streaming Guide
Delivering a live stream is similar to an automatic lecture recording, they automatically commence 3 minutes past the scheduled starting hour and stop recording 3 minutes to the concluding hour. In any of the supported live streaming theatres and classrooms, simply use the AV system to project your presentation and use any of the available microphones to amplify and live stream your voice. Use the AV touchpanel to toggle the ‘recording mute’ function and check that it not inadvertently left on during your lecture as this will also mute the live stream content. AVTS x7571, can assist with use of the venue AV facilities.
If you choose to enhance the live stream with an interactive presentation, follow the guides listed above for preparing and presenting an interactive presentation. Students in-class should be instructed to login to iLearn and open the current presentation listed in the Active Learning Platform.
In-class students can disregard and not click play on the live stream, but instead focus on the window containing the interactive polls and quizzes.
Students watching remotely will be able to see both the live stream (whatever you are projecting) and a window containing the interactive polls and quizzes.
Both groups of students can participate in the Q&A which allow students to ask and reply to questions throughout the live stream.
Capture Desktop Lecture Recordings with Echo360 Universal Capture Software
Echo360 ALP Universal Capture software installation
Downloading and installing may require the assistance of your faculty IT support. If you are unable to install the software or require administrative privileges, please lodge a support request through OneHelp.
- Go to any of your iLearn units and click the Echo Active Learning Platform block.
- Click the Settings menu and select Downloads.
- Select the Mac or Windows version to download. The installer must be run locally so save the file to your computer.
- Locate the downloaded installer file. It should be located in the Downloads folder.
- On the warning message that appears, click Open.
- Once the installer is launched, follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- The Echo360 Universal Capture icon will appear on your desktop.
Login to Echo360
- Click the Echo360 Universal Capture icon and click on Click here to login.
- Enter your staff email address.
- Enter Macquarie University as the institution and click Submit.
- You will be prompted to enter your MQ OneId.
- When prompted click Open link.
Capture a recording
The first thing you need to do before you start recording is to configure your screen to record what you would like to capture.
- Audio - select the audio device you would to use from the available options.
- Decide what you would like to capture from the Left Panel.
- Decide what you would like to capture from the Right Panel
- To capture your desktop and your face through the webcam
- Set the left panel to Display 1
- Set the right panel to Webcam
- To capture your face only through the webcam
- Set the left panel to No Input
- Set the right panel to Webcam
- To capture your desktop only
- Set the left panel to Display 1
- Set the right panel to No Input
- To capture your desktop and your face through the webcam
- Click the pencil icon or title to launch the Capture Details dialog box. Enter a Title, add a Description or Tags and leave the Publish To field as Library.
- Click the Record button. A count down appears on your screen and the Universal Capture window minimizes and the capture begins. A recording needs to be at least 15 seconds long (even after all the edits have been done) to save the recording.
- You can now Pause the recording for any reason, then Resume when you are ready.
- When you are done, click Finish.
- Click the X to cancel the recording.
- Once you have stopped the recording it will automatically upload to the Echo360 Active Learning Platform.
- Click the link to view the recording.
Edit and Publish - Desktop Lecture Recordings with Echo360 Active Learning Platform
Edit your recording
There is two ways to access and edit your Universal Capture recording.
- Once you have stopped the recording it will automatically upload to the Echo360 Active Learning Platform and it will appear in your web browser.
- Click the Edit video icon.
- Or, from your iLearn unit click the Echo Active Learning Platform block. Click the Echo360 icon in the top left corner and click My Content.
- Locate your uploaded recording. Hover your mouse over the recording and click on the three dots and select Edit Media.
- Click on the play button to view the recording. When you locate the beginning location of the segment you want to cut, click on Make Cut.
- Move the playhead marker to the end location of the segment you want to cut, click on Make Cut.
- Click into the area between the cuts to select it (this will also move the playhead into that area; ignore it). Notice that the selected area in between the two cuts changes to a lighter colour that the rest of the playbar.
- Click Delete to temporarily cut that segment from the video. The segment turns grey, to indicate it is no longer part of the playback.
- Repeat steps 5 to 8 for each segment you want to remove from the video. Remember, these cuts are temporary until you save your changes.
- To undo individual cut segments, click on the grey cut segment on the play bar. Notice that the Delete button changes to Revert. Click on Revert. The segment returns to the same colour as the rest of the play bar to indicate it is again part of the playback.
- To undo ALL cut segments, click on Restore.
- The last step is to apply the edits, where all the cuts will be removed. Click Save As and save the file as a new name or add Edited to the title. If you don’t change the name the original and edited file will have the same name and you won’t know which one to publish.
Publish the recording
Once you have edited your recording you can publish to a class so your students can view it.
- From the Echo dashboard, click the Echo360 icon in the top left corner and click on My content.
- Locate and click on your edited recording. Click on the Publishing tab.
- Click Publish.
- In the To a course field, use the drop-down list to select a Course. This is the unit you would like to publish it to.
- In the Choose a Section field, use the drop-down list to select the session you would like to publish it to.
- Select whether to create a New class or publish to an Existing class.
- If you create a new class to hold the recording, enter the Class name, Start date, Start time and Duration.
- If necessary, select Availably details of Now, On a specific date or Don’t make available.
- Click on Publish.
- The recording will be published to your course in Echo360 Active Learning Platform.
Many of the student interactions with the Echo360 Active Learning Platform are available through the analytics page. The data covers metrics for;
- Video Views
- Presentation Slide Views
- Student Q&A
- Notes taken (word count)
- Activities and answers to quizzes and polls.
The various metrics feed into a customisable weight creating an engagement score for each student.
For more information on analytics see;
Student Video Submission via iLearn editor
Echo360 can facilitate the submission of student video assignments. Once a video is submitted a student cannot edit or delete the recording. Echo360’s personal capture software is also available for students to install and use to conduct desktop and webcam recordings on Mac and PC. An app for Android and iOS can also available allowing students to upload video directly from mobile device to Echo360.
This guide is intended for the convenor setting up a video assignment in iLearn. A separate student guide is provided under the heading Echo360 Video Assignments at https://students.mq.edu.au/support/study/tools-and-resources/ilearn/ilearn-quick-guides-for-students/lecture-recordings
Creating a video assignment
- Log in to iLearn and Turn editing on.
- Within the desired section or week click Add an activity or resource.
- Select Assignment and click Add.
- Enter an Assignment name and Due dates.
- For Submission types select Online text only. Complete setup of other assignment parameter as required.
- Click Save and return to unit or Save and display to view.
- Assignment setup is complete.
Grading Echo360 video assignments
- Click on the relevant Assignment link within the week/topic in your iLearn unit.
- Click Grade.
- The right side panel contains the video.
- Watch video and enter grades, feedback and any other relevant grading details.
- Click Save and show next when complete to view the next submission.
If the video has been submitted for grading but it is not immediately viewable because it is being processed by Echo360, after a short time it will be visible. Refresh the webpage until the video displays. As a guideline, a video 5 minutes in length may take 5 minutes to process and display, a 30-minute video may take about 30 minutes before it can be played.
Student Video Submission via direct URL
Upload as a student
- Log in to iLearn and access your unit.
- Click the Active Learning Platform block link.
- Within the Active Learning Platform, click the Echo360 logo in the top left.
- Click Upload.
- Select a video file from your computer to upload. Wait for upload and processing to complete.
- Click My Content.
- Click the thumbnail for the video just uploaded. You can complete the following steps even whilst the video is being processed.
- Click the SHARING tab.
- Click ADD LINK.
- Ensure ACCESS is set to Public.
- Click the Link URL to copy it. The URL can be pasted anywhere as instructed by the convenor such as a forum (for other students to view) or in an assignment submission (for formal grading) or emailed.
View as another student of Convenor
- The convenor or other students receive the URL by methods arranged by convenor (forum, email, assignment submission etc).
- Click the link to watch the video.