To start using the iLearn system you will need to know how to access, navigate and use the iLearn environment effectively for your teaching practice. There are many different processes that you will need to complete as a Lecturer, or Convenor of an iLearn unit. Find out more about these processes below.
iLearn is the interface to Macquarie University's learning technologies platform. It is made up of several educational technologies mainly built around Moodle, the freely available open source Learning Management System.
To access iLearn:
- Log into iLearn
- Enter your MQ OneID username and password to login.
If you are experiencing issues with logging in, check if your OneID is active.
When you login to your unit, you will land on my home page which shows your unit list. Navigating back to my home from anywhere in your unit will return you to your unit list. Select the unit you wish to enter by clicking on the unit title.
This menu allows you to move easily within the different components of your unit and also between your unit pages for all of the units in which you are involved.
The navigation block is found in the top left hand corner of the screen. Hover your mouse over the Navigation menu so that it appears.
Contains a menu that offers you different options including:
Unit administration – includes options to turn editing on, edit your course settings, access the grading functions and your question bank for quizzes and assignments.
Switch role to – use this option to switch your role to that of instructor, tutor, student or guest within the unit. Particularly useful when you have made changes in your course and want to see your changes from the perspective of a student.
My profile settings – allows you to customise and edit your profile.
The tools block is located in the top left hand corner of the screen below the navigation block.
This is a tool within your unit that tracks your path as you navigate through different components of your unit. You can go back to a page you visited using the breadcrumbs hyperlinks. Breadcrumbs appear across the top of the page.
You can also use your browser navigation buttons (back, forward) to navigate within your unit the same way you use them to browse the web.
- Navigation block allows you to move easily within the different components of your unit and also between your other units.
- Tools block contains tools for unit administration, switching role and profile settings.
- Breadcrumbs appear across the top of the page tracking your path as you navigate around your unit. Use the links to return to a page you visited.
- Topic 0 is the first week/topic that appears in the list of weeks/topics in your unit.
- Announcements to communicate with all students in a unit.
- Week/topic divides your unit into sections.
- Expand topic button to view or collapse the contents of a week/topic.
- Blocks allow you to build your unit by adding different functions and activities.
- Turn editing on button allows you to build and make changes to your unit.
- My Profile link to your profile that contains basic information, photo and settings to help manage communication.
- Help and support access.