This site is for Macquarie University academic staff to browse through the equipment and demonstrations available in our department for lecture demonstrations.
- A list of equipment available in our lecture demonstration lab, including pictures and the location of the equipment.
- A list of our demonstrations including set up notes, hints, pictures and in some cases schematic diagrams is provided.
- The location of the equipment needed for each demo is also included.
Demonstrations are categorised by topic and sub-topic.
Also included is a brief list of what can be found in the lockers.
Comments and any other feedback on information supplied is welcome. You can email Danny Cochran or call 8972.
It is hoped that this will be a useful teaching resource for all staff. This site will be constantly updated as equipment is replaced, new demonstrations are introduced or old demonstrations are revamped.
If you want a demonstration not in our collection, have a look around the web at what's available, have a chat with Danny Cochran and we'll see what we can do about funding it. If you don't ask, we don't know it's needed.
Electricity and magnetism (EM)
- Alternating Current (EM-AC)
- Capacitors (EM-CA)
- Discharge transformer (EM-DT)
- Electronics (EM-EL)
- Faraday's Law (EM-FA)
- Induced currents (EM-IC)
- Inductors (EM-IN)
- Magnetic Fields (EM-MF)
- Magnets (EM-MA)
- Motors and generators (EM-MG)
- Ohm's Law (EM-OL)
- Resistors (EM-RE)
- (ES-ES-01) Electrostatic deflection of an electron beam.doc
- (ES-ES-02) Magnetic deflection of an electron beam.doc
- (ES-ES-03) Maltese Cross .doc
- (ES-ES-04) Van de Graaff generator .doc
- (ES-ES-05) Electrostatic attraction and repulsion.doc
- (ES-ES-06) Electrostaticly charged rods & electroscope.doc
- (ES-ES-07) Charged rods and jumping bits of paper.doc
- (ES-ES-08) Electric field lines.doc
- (ES-ES-10) Pom poms for van de graff.doc
- General demos (FL-GE)
- Hydrodynamics (FL-HD)
- Hydrostatics (FL-HS)
- Surface tension (FL-ST)
- Gas Laws (GA-GL)
- Central forces (ME-CF)
- Centre of gravity (ME-CG)
- Dynamics (ME-DY)
- Friction (FR)
- Levers (ME-LE)
- Momentum and Newton's laws (ME-MN)
- Pendulum (ME-PE)
- Rotational motion and gyroscopes (ME-RM)
Nuclear physics (NP)
Demonstrations continued ...
- Diffraction (OP-DI)
- Interference (OP-IN)
- Light (OP-LI)
- Thin films (OP-TF)
- Total Internal Reflection (OP-IR)
- Fibre Optics (OP-FO)
Quantum physics (QP)
- Waves (QP-WA)
Structure of Matter (SM)
- Atomic models (SM-AM)
- Crystal structures (SM-CS)
- Gas laws (GL)
- Heat engines (HE)
- Temperature effects (TE)
- Thermal Conductivity (TC)
- Sound (WA-SO)
- Waves (WA-WA)
- (WA-WA-01) Morie Pattern .doc
- (WA-WA-02) Longitudonal Waves on a Rubber Hose.doc
- (WA-WA-03) Longitudoanl Waves on a Slinky Spring .doc
- (WA-WA-04) Wave Machine .doc
- (WA-WA-05) Ripple Tank.docx
- (WA-WA-05b) Ripple Tank (Old).doc
- (WA-WA-06) Oscillating mass on a spring .doc
- (WA-WA-07) Standing waves on a string.doc
- (WA-WA-08) Electron Diffraction Tube.docx
- (WA-WA-09) Waves in Corn Starch.docx
- (WA-WA-10) Wave Motion Demonstrator.docx
- (WA-WA-11) Chladni Plates.docx
- (WA-WA-12) Waves on a Snakey spring.doc
Xtra - miscellaneaous (XT)
- Equipment Manuals (New, to be completed)
- Lecture demonstrations by units.xls
- Old retired demos
- Video & audio accessories