Department of Economics
Economics at Macquarie University is one of the largest economics schools in Australia, with highly qualified and experienced staff. We deliver dynamic Economics programs that align with business and community needs and practices. Our courses provide a sound understanding of today’s complex economic environment.
We adhere to Macquarie’s Learning and teaching strategic framework. For support in using our teaching tools such as iTeach and iLearn, see Macquarie’s teaching technologies and tools page. If you are having technical problems, raise a One-Help ticket to get assistance from the IT department.
Head of Department
Professor Elisabetta Magnani
Elisabetta Magnani has a PhD in Economics from Yale University and a Doctorate in Political Economy from the University of Bologna. Her research areas include:
- Finance and labour
- Labour markets
- Wages and employment conditions in global perspectives
- Labour market decisions and intra-household effects
- Economic inequality and its relationship with ecological discourses
- Contemporary continental philosophy and the economic discourse
Research and funding
Research in the Economics Department is very active across a broad spectrum involving both individual and group research. We have a long tradition of research excellence in a variety of areas including:
Through our research networks we focus on addressing some of the most challenging subjects of our times:
- Designing financial markets that deliver financial and macroeconomic stability
- Assisting regional developing nations to transition towards socially, economically and environmentally sustainable development paths
- Envisioning the role of culture and cultural products in our economic thinking
- Providing policy makers with the necessary tools to understand opportunities and trade-offs to enhance societies’ welfare
The Faculty of Business and Economics Research Office can help you with research-related questions, and should be your first point of contact. Further information can be found on Macquarie’s research web pages, including information on grants and funding.
If you have travel requirements for your research, Macquarie offers travel support and info. When it comes time to present your research, our marketing and communications team can help you understand our brand and media engagement guidelines.