What's trending right now
Work from Home
Aruba VPN update 4.0.0 is causing issues with Mac computers with older operating systems.
Users have reported that when they updated Aruba VPN to version 4.0.0 on their Mac, they were not able to open Aruba VPN. We have tested and confirmed that the new Aruba VPN version 4.0.0 is not working with any MacOS version older than Catalina.
However, before you update your Operating system please check and see if your computer is compatible with Catalina by clicking this link.
The new Microsoft365 (Update: 04/05/2020)
On April 21st 2020, Microsoft renamed the office suite from Office365 to Microsoft365.
If you have recently downloaded or upgraded your Office365, you would have seen the difference as below.
To upgrade your current Office365 to the new Microsoft365, just open up your Microsoft word, click on Account on the left-hand panel and then click Office Updates.
This will then upgrade your whole office suite. You do not need to upgrade each office application individually.
Echo360 Universal Capture: Issue with the latest update (Update: 08/05/2020)
We have received reports from our windows users that the latest update of the Echo360 Universal Capture has caused some new compatibility issues with screen recording.
It appears that people who has set their screen resolutions to 1366 x 768 are currently not able to record screen content.
The current workaround is to change your screen resolution when you want to do screen recording using the Universal Capture tool.
To change your computers screen resolution please follow these steps:
- Right click on your desktop and select the option Display Settings
- Under the Display section, change the Resolution by selecting another resolution from the drop-down menu (e.g. 1280 x 720) and click Keep Changes.
If you wish to obtain more information about this latest release, please check this release note.
Live streaming with Universal capture (Update: 21/04/2020)
The most recent update of the Echo360 university capture software have added in the live streaming feature. To enable a smooth live streaming, a reliable upload speed of 2Mb will be needed for screen capture, and speed of 6Mb for both camera and screen capture.
You can test your connection speed at http://www.speedtest.net
Zoom released Zoom 5.0 (Update: 27/04/2020)
The new features and improvements include:
- Resolved the issues where users needed to be authenticated and on the same account to view cloud recordings even if that setting is not turned on by admin or host.
- Resolved an issue where a subset of meetings were deleted when an invitee with scheduling privilege declined the invitation in Windows Zoom client
- Upgraded to AES 256-bit GCM encryption
- Prevent private chatting with channel members outside of Zoom account or organization
- Re-enable clickable links in meeting chat
- Copied URL will not include password if the web setting Embed password in meeting link for one-click join is disabled
- Enable the setting Blur snapshot on iOS task switcher
- Report a user during a meeting
- Additional feedback options at the end of a meeting
- Enhancements to meeting end/leave flow
- Show the connected data centre and select data centre regions when scheduling a meeting
- Indication of an external user
For detail information please refer to the full Release Notes
Please begin updating your zoom clients to Zoom 5.0 now. After May 30, 2020, all Zoom clients on older versions will receive a forced upgrade when trying to join meetings as GCM Encryption will be fully enabled across the Zoom platform.
Zoom recording available in Echo360 by default (Update: 20/04/2020)
Zoom has reverted the default Zoom recording settings over the weekend. The following settings are now OFF by default.
This means, recording of Zoom will be automatically available in Echo360 and can be shared when enabled.
This change would not apply to any existing meeting that has been setup.
If you do not want the recording to be shared and / or you would like the recording to be password protected, please ensure you turn on both of the above options before you setup the meeting.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following is a compiled FAQ list which answers some of the more common questions.
Work From Home
My VPN is not working, I keep getting ‘ISAKMP stack could not be initialised’
Please open the Virtual Intranet Access software and click on the setting icon (top right) then click on Profile.
Delete the profile and download the VPN Profile again. This should resolve the issue.
If this doesn’t work, check the version in the About tab as it might be the older version and just uninstall and reinstall the updated version from the Wiki.
I don’t have internet at home / my Internet is intermittent, does the University provide WIFI dongle for staff to enable work from home?
You will need to consult your Head of Department or Faculty GM. If your faculty has approved the request and happy to fund the cost, IT can help with facilitating.
I can’t remotely connect to my computer on campus using my personal computer off-site. I’m connected to the VPN, using my OneID credentials, and have entered in my IP address correctly, so why isn’t it working?
When entering in your credentials for remotely accessing your computer, you need to enter “mqauth\” in the username field before entering your OneID number.
For example, if your OneID number was MQ20201111, you would need to enter “mqauth\MQ20201111”. This tells the remote desktop software that you are trying to connect to a computer on the Macquarie University network.
How do I access my Voicemail externally?
To access your voicemail externally please call 9850 7777, press # when prompted then enter your extension number followed by # and then enter your password followed by #
Can I enable forwarding from my handset to my mobile?
Select mobile diversion from the drop down and complete the required fields and a request will be generated for you.
Avaya one-X Communicator is not picking up my headphone audio
The Avaya software does not respond well to changes to connectivity during operation e.g. Changing or disconnecting headphones while the software is running.
You will need to ensure your headphones/headset are plugged in and restart the application to resolve the issue.
Echo Lecture Recordings
I have done a recording using Echo Universal Capture, but I do not know where it has gone now or how to find it?
Before starting a capture you can click on the pencil icon at the top left and enter the recording details including where the recording should be published to (using the drop down menu). If no details are set, the recording goes to your Library (my content).
‘My content’ can be accessed by logging in at echo360.org.au and then clicking the ‘my content’ menu item on the left.
Log into any of your iLearn units and click the Echo Block on the right. In the class list, click the Echo360 logo at the top left and then in the dashboard page that loads, click ‘my content’ menu item on the left.
My internet connection at home isn't working, how can I attend a Zoom meeting?
If you have no internet access at all, you can still participate in Zoom meetings by calling one of the dial-in numbers and entering the meeting number on your dial pad. For a list of local Zoom dial-in numbers, visit: https://zoom.us/zoomconference
My Zoom recordings are not uploading to Echo360.
If you login to https://macquarie.zoom.us and go to 'Settings’ and then ‘Recordings’.
Please ensure that:
- Cloud Recording is ON
- ‘Only Authenticated users can view cloud recordings’ is OFF
- ‘Require password access to access shared cloud recordings’ is OFF
If you have changed these settings after the recording, you will have to manually upload the recording to Echo 360.
My Zoom Cloud recordings have a password, how do I remove the password?
In order to fix this, login to https://macquarie.zoom.us and go to 'Settings’ and then ‘Recordings’.
Please ensure that:
- ‘Require password access to access shared cloud recordings’ is OFF
Please note that this will not remove the password for any existing recordings, and once changed will only remove passwords for future recordings.
How can I find where my Zoom recordings are being stored?
Using the desktop application, you can find both locally stored recordings and cloud recordings, in order to find the local recordings, follow these steps:
- Open the Application and select ‘meetings’ in the top menu bar.
- Once on the ‘meeting tab’ select ‘recorded’ this will open a list of your Zoom recordings.
- Select a meeting and click ‘Open’ it will take you to the folder where the files are stored. Or if you have recorded them to the cloud it will take you to where they’re stored online.
How can I make a Guest User a Co-Host in a Zoom meeting?
In order to add a guest user as a co-host follow these steps:
1. Add the user as a contact from your MQ account by going to the contacts tab and then clicking the ‘+’.
2. Once they accept your friend request, create the meeting.
3. Add them via the 'Invite' option in the 'Participants' (you can search their name if you can't find it)
4. Once the person is in the meeting and everything is working, hover your mouse over the user in the meeting and click the three dots to the right of ‘unmute’ then select ‘Make Co-Host'
How can I access a generic mailbox?
To access it from the web browser please check the link below for instructions.
For Outlook Desktop Client:
The process for adding the mailbox to your own Outlook is as follows:
- Click the 'File' tab
- Click 'Account Settings'
- Click 'Account Settings...'
Make sure your default account is selected (your staff email address):
- Click 'Change'
- Click 'More Settings...'
- Click the 'Advanced' tab.
- Click the 'Add' button, which will open a small window where you can enter the username of the mailbox you wish to add.
- Once entered, click 'OK' to close all the windows you have opened so far. The new mailbox will be visible on the left of your mail Outlook mail screen.
How long do I have access to my staff email after I stop working at MQ?
From the day of your contract termination, you will be given three months extended access to your MQ staff email.
After the three months has finished, the email will be automatically decommissioned, and you will not be able to access the service.
If an email is sent to that address after the three-month extension is over, the sender will receive an automated reply that states that the staff member no longer works at MQ.
What do I do if I received a suspicious email?
If you believe you have received a suspicious email, please do the following:
- Do not click on any links or attachments
- Do not provide your OneID login details. Never share your password.
When I open excel, I get this error “You can’t use this version of Excel with this version of macOS”
This is a known issue for Mac users who are currently using MacOS version 10.12 (Sierra) or earlier.
In order to fix this issue, you will need to update your MacOS to at least 10.13 (High Sierra) or later.
To find out which MacOS your Mac is using, follow this link.
To update your Operating system, follow this link and select install, this will start the update process and will install the latest version of macOS Catalina on your computer.
Office365 is fully supported on High Sierra and all versions after.
Check your MacOS version here