12 Wally's Walk (E7A) refurbishment
This project is the refurbishment, life-cycle upgrade and complete fit-out of the existing eight levels of E7A.
It includes an upward expansion to create a level nine and an outward expansion which will enable the use of the area between E7A and E7B in the form of a glazed atrium.
The project also includes interface fire engineering works to E7B.
12 Wally's Walk is nearing completion, with external cladding and windows complete and most scaffold removed. Internally, the atrium is having the final touches applied with the offices also nearing completion. All is in preparation for the building to be opened in Session 1.
The following departments from the Faculty of Science will be housed in this building:
- Environment and geography
- Earth and planetary sciences
- Mathematics and statistics
- ARC core to crust fluid systems
- Risk frontiers
- Several science administration groups
It will include a vastly improved science student centre which will provide a MUSE-like gateway to the faculty. The atrium will house a café and lounge area.
- Total refurbishment of the 12 Wally's Walk tower for Faculty of Science and Engineering
- New lift and toilet core located outside the original building envelope
- New atrium coffee spot and student administration area
- Adaptive re-use of existing structures
- High performance, Low-E glazing
- Natural ventilation of the atrium when weather permits
- Zero energy thermal chimneys to assist atrium air flow
- Underfloor heating to the atrium to reduce space heating requirements
- Solar panel system to supplement electrical supply