Workflow for authors
The three-step publication process
There are three steps in the publication process:
- the author writes and edits content
- the approver reviews and approves content
- the author publishes approved content.
This guide describes how content is approved and published after an author has finished creating content.
Author role and responsibilities
- have access to specific pages on the website and can write and edit content on them
- advise people submitting content of good website practice and the rules that apply to content on the University’s website
- assure approvers and content managers that content submitted for publication complies with the University's publishing requirements.
NOTE: This guide assumes that edits to a page are made in SAFE mode. This is the recommended process and is required to activate the automatic workflow features in Squiz Matrix.
Submit for review
When you have completed editing a page, and have checked that it complies with the publishing rules (refer to the author checklist), then you must submit it to an approver for review and publication.
A. Click Details.
B. Select Apply for Approval from the Change? drop down list.
C. You will now see another drop down list called Use workflow stream. Select the department or business unit of your approver(s) from the list. You can also add any additional information for the approver in the comments field.
D. Click Save. The status bar will change to Pending Approval, and will be purple. Your changes will now be ready for review by an approver.
Squiz Matrix will send emails to:
- the approver(s) in the department or business unit you selected
- the ‘page owner’ mailbox set up by your faculty or business unit (this is the same email address that appears on the bottom of each web page).
Release the page - you must now select Exit Edit Mode (or Logout) to allow the approver to review the page. You must do this to ensure page is available for review and can be published.
NOTE: the approver will need to reject your request if it requires further change AFTER you have submitted it for approval. Authors cannot reverse a request for approval.
Notification of rejection or approval
It is a good idea to keep track of the status of a page until it is approved. An approver may be busy and overlook your email requesting review and approval for publication.
Squiz Matrix will send a reminder to ALL approvers in your Faculty or Business unit if your request has not been approved within seven days.
You will only receive an automatic email from Squiz Matrix if your changes have been rejected by an approver.
You will NOT be notified if No action has been taken on your request for approval.
Once your page has been approved, open the page in Edit mode. The workflow status screen will show that the content is no longer in workflow. You can now publish the content.
A. Click Details. This will take you to the Status screen.
B. Select Make Live from the Change? drop down menu on the Status screen.
C. Click Save. The page will now go live.
The approver will need to reject your request if it requires further change AFTER you have submitted it for approval. Authors cannot reverse a request for approval.
You may want to advise the approver when the page has been published.
An author has the option to reject changes if the page has been approved, but something needs to be changed before it is published. This will restart the workflow for the content.
- Website content: Author Checklist
- Squiz Matrix Guide: Page Ownership