Benefits of using Squiz
Squiz Matrix is the CMS used by Macquarie University to manage internal and external facing web content.
First things first – what is a CMS?
CMS stands for content management system. These systems are used to create, organise and manage digital web content. Things like blogs, social posts, videos, webinars, infographics and interactive guides can be pulled through a CMS and published onto a website. There are many content management systems that can do this: examples include WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and Squiz.
Why Squiz Matrix?
Prior to 2015 Macquarie University’s website was spread over a range of different systems. This caused inconsistencies and problems, both for our website users and for web authors. We knew that we needed everything to be sitting on a single CMS platform.
There were several reasons for choosing Squiz Matrix as Macquarie’s content management system. Firstly, Squiz is an enterprise level CMS used to power both Government and private sector websites. We needed a system that could handle our complex website and Squiz could do this. There were also several other requirements that we needed our CMS to fulfil. These included being user friendly for content creation, have functionality that would easily integrate with social media channels as well as third-party platforms and finally a solution that would be scalable.
What are the benefits of using Squiz?
- Better visual and navigational consistency
- Our website is optimised for both mobile and desktop browsers
- Information is easier to find due to improved search functions and easier navigation.
For authors and editors:
- A range of flexible templates that can be used to create different types of web pages
- Better results can be achieved with less effort
- Less time spent on site maintenance
- Reduced content duplication
- System security has been enhanced
- Consistent application of best practices for accessibility
- The site will have consistent University branding
- Everyone will have access to future web capabilities that the university develops on this platform.