These guidelines are to help you when uploading content to the Macquarie University YouTube channel. By following these steps, you'll ensure that Macquarie's YouTube channel meets best practice and that your video will be optimised for search upon upload. This will help more people to see your video help bring more visitors to the Macquarie University website.
- Change the filename before upload: Ensure your file has your most relevant keyword (or two) in the filename before uploading it to YouTube e.g. rename it to 'Macquarie-University-Open-Day.avi' before you upload it - not 'Mov0234.avi'.
- Upload in HD format: High Definition videos tend to rank better in search than Standard Definition videos. Wherever possible, upload your videos in HD format (1080P).
- Make sure the video has closed captions: As of 1 January, 2015 all new videos uploaded to Macquarie's YouTube channel require timecoded transcripts (usually in a .srt file). Several companies, including TranscribeMe offer this service.
- The YouTube title is important: The title of your video is very important in search rankings - so be sure to include the most important and relevant keywords in the Title. Ask yourself: 'what would I be searching for, if I was looking for this video?' and try to base your keywords on what search terms the average visitor might use. For example: "Masters of Research (MRes) Information Session - Macquarie University".
- Choose your keywords wisely: Choose up to 25 of the most relevant keywords on what your video is about.
Ask yourself: 'what would I be searching for, if I was looking for this video?
Use quotation marks around phrases you want to optimise for, such as "study in Sydney".
Generic keywords that are also good to include are "tertiary education "Macquarie University" study teaching learning uni Australia Sydney "Australian Universities" university "study in Australia" "study in Sydney" "best university" research".
Never use an unrelated keyword and separate your keywords with spaces, not commas. More area-specific keywords suggestions are available on the YouTube wiki.
- Be descriptive and include the MQ website link: Descriptions can be as long as you want, and the more descriptive the better. Always start your description with the full Macquarie University website address (with the http) http://www.mq.edu.au/ and make sure you include a reference to Macquarie University.
- Remove any draft: It is essential to remove any unlisted draft versions of your videos that may be left over once you have published your final video.
- Use playlists: If you have a number of related videos, or a series, create a playlist so viewers can easily see them all together as a collection.