Legal services

Legal services

Front of The Chancellery building


The legal services office includes the General Counsel and the University solicitors and provides advice to office-holders and staff of the University.

We provide advice and services on all legal issues affecting, or arising out of activities of, the University and its controlled entities. The legal department  does not provide advice to students or personal advice to staff.


If you are a staff member and you need advice on legal issues affecting, or arising out of the activities of the University and its controlled entities then please complete the legal services checklist (below) and email your request to  Your request will allocated to a university solicitor who will respond to you within a few days depending on workload.

However, if your matter relates to a subpoena, contact

To help us help you, we have prepared a list of responses to frequently asked questions (FAQs).  Click on the link below to see information on a number of key topics.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who does Legal Services represent?

We provide legal advice and representation to the University and its controlled entities. All of the faculties, units and offices of the University are one legal entity. The controlled entities such as U@MQ Limited, Access Macquarie Limited and MGSM Limited are each separate legal entities.

How do I obtain advice?

Please refer to the University's Legal Services Policy and Legal Advice Procedure for further information.

What is the University's ABN?

The University's ABN is 90 952 801 237.

I have received a subpoena. What do I do?

Email The matter will be allocated to a lawyer, in the meantime, please review the University's Subpoena Procedure.

To whom should subpoenas be addressed?

Subpoenas to the University and its controlled entities should be addressed as follows:

Attention: The Proper Officer
Office of the General Counsel
Macquarie University
Ground Floor, The Chancellery
E11A, 19 Eastern Road
Macquarie Park NSW 2109

Can I refer work to external legal advisers?

Yes, with the approval of the Vice-Chancellor, General Counsel, Chief Operating Officer or a Deputy Vice-Chancellor (refer to the Legal Services Policy). This allows the University and its controlled entities to maintain quality and cost control and to avoid conflicts of interest.

Legal Services assists with the selection of external legal advisers, taking into account areas of expertise and prior experience in handling work for the University or its controlled entities.

What does legal professional privilege mean?

Legal professional privilege protects the confidentiality of communications with Legal Services. In most cases, advice given by Legal Services is protected by legal professional privilege, and this privilege may extend to documents, emails or advice provided verbally. Legal professional privilege may be lost if proper care is not taken of privileged advice.

Refer to the University's Legal Professional Privilege Guideline.

I suspect that one of my colleagues is doing something at work that does not seem right. What do I do?

There are several steps that you can take.

I wish to engage a contractor to provide services to the University/purchase goods. Are there standard documents I may use?

Refer to the University's ProcureRight, which sets out procedures you must follow and standard documents available for procurement.

I have received a request from the police for personal information relating to a staff member or a student. What do I do?

Refer to the Release of Student Information Policy and the related guidelines and contact the Privacy Officer.

Who has authority to make a decision which affects the University or its controlled entities. Where should I look?

Where or how can I obtain a copy of a contract the University or one of its controlled entities entered into with another party previously.

Contact staff in Macquarie Memory by emailing


We have used external lawyers to prepare documents. Who do we send the documents to for signing?

  • the documents need to be signed by the person who has delegated authority under the Instrument of Delegations;
  • if the document is called a 'deed', it must be sent to Legal Services for signing under the University's power of attorney;
  • if the document is not a deed, the person who would have authority to sign, should sign a memo addressed to Legal Services requesting that the document be signed under power of attorney, and confirming that they approve the document for signing.

I am using a standard University template and I am not making any changes to it other than inserting blanks where required. Do I send it to Legal Services for signing?

No. When using a University standard template and making no changes legal does not need to sign it.

The document may be signed by the person with delegated authority in your office of faculty (refer to the Instrument of Delegations).

Can I make changes on a standard University template?

No. Refer the change to Legal Services before making changes.

How do I affix the University seal to a document. What do I need to do?

The seal of the University may only be affixed to a document following a resolution of the Council.

In most cases, you should be able to satisfy the other party that the affixing of the seal is not necessary. Draw their attention to section 50 (3) of the Interpretation Act 1987 and let them know you will arrange for either the Vice-Chancellor, or a person authorised by the Vice-Chancellor, to sign the document without a seal.

Deeds and Registered Power of Attorney

For all deeds executed after 9 January 2017, the following signing clause should read as follows:

Download the form as a pdf

The person occupying or acting in the following offices below at Macquarie University are able to sign.

  • the Vice Chancellor;
  • any Deputy Vice Chancellor;
  • the Chief Operating Officer;
  • the Registrar;
  • the General Counsel;
  • the Director, Human Resources

Justice of the peace

Justice of the Peace (JP) services are available at Student Connect, 18 Wally's Walk, Level 2 MUSE.  The service is available Tuesday and Thursday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our people

General Counsel

  • Carol Kirby (9850 7443) - General Counsel

University solicitors

  • Melissa Barhy (9850 4787)
  • Stephen Baxter (9850 7453)
  • Zoe Cheng (9850 4441)
  • Lloyd Doherty (9850 7441)
  • Li-Yen Ng (9850 4797)
  • Hannah Reid (9850 7811)
  • Janna Zeglis (9850 4786)

Administrative staff

  • Jane Neal (9850 8792) Mon, Tue, Wed (Legal Secretary to Carol Kirby)
  • Julie Smith (9850 6856) Wed, Thur, Fri (Legal Secretary to Carol Kirby)
  • Constance Tok (9850 4898) (Legal Secretary)
Back to the top of this page