Cash or Travel Advance

Cash or Travel Advance

Cash or Travel Advance

A cash advance payment can be made for travel or research participant payments. Advance payments will need to be acquitted after the travel or research has been undertaken.

Staff may travel on behalf of the University on official business.

In instances where a University credit card cannot be used, staff can apply for a travel advance using the non-order payment form (NOPF).

A travel advance can be paid to staff for up to 85% of the estimated travel costs. No further advance will be provided until an acquittance is substantiated.

Advance or Substantiation (NOPF) Form

Staff may request advance payment for travel or participant payments.

Advance claim form (please open the spreadsheet below and select advance in sheet named "Step 1 - Form"):

Excel 2007 version
Excel 2010 version

Once recorded on your end of year payment summary, this amount is taxable in the hands of the employee and is irrevocable.

Travel Policy will provide further information and per-diem rates.

How to substantiate an advance

Staff are asked to substantiate an advance with original tax invoices and receipts within one month of the date the expenditure has been incurred. It is important to note, an EFTPOS docket or credit card authorisation slip does not satisfy this requirement.

For research participant advance substantiations, researchers will need to request participants to sign-off an acknowledgement stating funds are received. The only exception is when participant details cannot be disclosed due to state/federal legislation or due to relevant University policy.

Excel 2007 version
Excel 2010 version

  1. Complete a Non-Order payment form (please select “Substantiation” after opening the spreadsheet on “Step 1” sheet)
  2. Obtain approval from a delegated staff member for the claimed expenditure
  3. Forward the claim to Accounts Payable for processing and payment.

In acquitting the advance, you must clearly identify and certify that any costs claimed have been paid from the advance and not charged to your credit card.

End of financial year reconciliation

At the 30 June, any advance requiring substantiation that has been outstanding for more than four months from the date of expenditure incurred, will be included in the staff's payment summary as a reportable fringe benefit from a taxation perspective.

The only exception to this is when the Manager (Accounts Payable) is provided with a sufficient explanation why the advance remains unsubstantiated.

Once recorded on the your end of year payment summary, this amount is taxable in the hands of the employee and is irrevocable.

Back to the top of this page