The objectives of the Australian Laureate Fellowship scheme are to:|
- attract and retain outstanding researchers and research leaders of international reputation, with exceptional ability to lead, collaborate, mentor and supervise, and enhance their capacity to create an enduring legacy;
- build focus and scale in research by forging new links among researchers, the international research community and/or industry and other research end-users;
- support a program of innovative and ground-breaking research that addresses a significant problem or gap in knowledge;
- create a cohesive research program and implementation plan that represents value for money;
- provide an excellent research training environment and exemplary opportunity to nurture early or mid-career researchers;
- produce new or advanced knowledge resulting from the outcomes of the research with economic, commercial, environmental, social and/or cultural benefits for Australia, and to enhance research in Australian Government priority areas.
The Administering Organisation must provide a salary of a Level E professorial appointment (or equivalent) for the Australian Laureate Fellow, with the ARC providing the salary supplement.
The level of salary supplement that will be provided by the ARC for an Australian Laureate Fellow is $179,840 per annum (2023$), including 30 per cent on-costs.
In addition to the salary supplement and salary-related (on-cost) support, the ARC may provide:
(a) funding for two postdoctoral research associates (PDRAs) for five years each;
(b) two postgraduate researchers (PGRs) for four years each;
(c) project funding of up to $300,000 per year for five years; and
(d) additional funding of up to $20,000 per year for use as part of the ambassadorial role to promote women in research.
Changes to Eligibility for DVCR Co-Funding
Eligibility for the DVCR Co-Funding Scheme is now contingent upon on-time submission of grant applications by the compliance and eligibility check date. Many applications for external funding require cash and in-kind contributions from the host institution in order to be considered for funding. In most cases, researchers request cash contributions, such as project support funds, funding for research associates, scholarships and major equipment, from the DVCR via the DVCR Co-Funding Scheme to support their external funding applications. To be eligible to request this DVCR Co-Funding, grant applications must be submitted internally, via Pure, by the compliance and eligibility check date.
- Applications must be submitted to the Research Services Grant Development Team by the compliance and eligibility check date.
- View further information on deadlines, processes and FAQs.
- Applications that do not have a Pure record and/or do not have all the appropriate approvals in Pure (Head of Department [HoD] and Deputy Dean of Research and Innovation [DDRI]) will not be submitted to the external funding body.
For funding commencing in 2024:
- Release of ARC Grant Guidelines: Wednesday 9 August 2023
- ARC opening date in RMS: Wednesday 16 August 2023
- Strategic review (optional): Submit your complete draft application to the Research Office in the ARC RMS by Tuesday 12 September 2023
- ARC request not to assess close: Monday 25 September 2023
- Compliance and eligibility check (mandatory): Submit your draft application to the Research Office in the ARC RMS by Tuesday 26 September 2023
- Research Services submission to ARC: Tuesday 10 October 2023
- Rejoinder period: 8 January to 19 January 2024
- Outcomes expected: 5 to 18 June 2024
ARC dates are indicative and are subject to change
NOTIFICATION OF INTENT (NOI)
Complete a Notification of Intent to inform your Faculty and the University Research Services teams of your intention to submit an application. After completing this NOI, you will be provided with regular updates about your funding scheme and sent valuable resources that will assist you in developing a highly competitive research grant application.
ARC INFORMATION FOR FUNDING COMMENCING IN 2024
Grant Opportunity Information
Grant Opportunity Documents (e.g. Instructions to Applicants; GrantConnect login required)
Request Not To Assess
ARC Medical Research Policy
Guidelines on Developing a Laureate Fellowship Budget
FL24 Budget Template
MQ ERA 2018 Outcomes
MQ Engagement and Impact 2018 Outcomes
MQ Salary Rates (Academic, Professional, PhD Scholarships)
MQ Guide to Appropriate Salary Levels and Steps
ATO Allowances (Per Diem)
Successful Grants Library
Pure Research Management System
Open Access and Funding Compliance
MQ Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research
MQ Conflict of Interest Policy
Information, Strategic Advice, Compliance and Eligibility:
Grant Development Team
Ph: +61 2 9850 4737
Faculty of Arts
Ph 9850 9663 (x9663), Faculty Research Manager, Dr Christine Boman
Faculty of Medicine, Health and Human Sciences
Ph 9850 2788 (x2788), Faculty Research Manager, Dr Kyle Ratinac
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Ph 9850 8912 (x8912), Faculty Research Manager, Ms Irina Zakoshanski
Macquarie Business School
Ph 9850 4496 (x4496), Faculty Research Manager, Dr Jan Zwar