Faculty Awards, Schemes and Procedures
Excellence Awards - Science and Engineering
The Faculty of Science and Engineering Excellence Awards were established to recognise and celebrate the outstanding achievements and contribution of staff and students to Faculty and University activities.
Recipients receive a certificate and $1,000* (pro-rata if awarded to a team). Awards are presented at the Faculty End of Year Function, and recipients are acknowledged on the Faculty website.
*Excludes recipients of Excellence in HDR and Excellence in Sessional Teaching awards
At least one award will be available each year, for an individual or team, in the following categories:
Awards for Research
Early Career Researcher
Excellence in HDR Supervision
Excellence in Innovative Research Partnerships
Excellence in Research
Excellence in Research Leadership
Excellence in HDR (Student Award)
Awards for Teaching
1. Approaches to teaching that influence, motivate, and inspire students to learn
2. Development of curricula and resources that enhance research-integrated teaching in our coursework programs
3. Innovative approaches to assessment and feedback that foster independent learning and teaching
Excellence in Sessional Teaching
Award for Leadership and Citizenship
Awards for Services (for professional staff only)
1. Complete the FSE Excellence Award Nomination Form (via Smartsheet)
2. Attach documentation as specified under 3.5 of the FSE Excellence Awards Protocol - Supporting Statement template available
3. Submit by 5pm on the first Friday in November
4. Head of Department / Dean of School completes Statement of Endorsement via Smartsheet workflow by 5pm on the second Friday in November
5. Assessment completed by panel, chaired by the Executive Dean
6. Communication of recipients at Faculty End of Year function
Parental Leave Research Fellowship - Science and Engineering
The Fellowship is available to researchers in the Faculty of Science and Engineering whose career has been, or will be, interrupted through at least 6-months continuous full time parental leave (or equivalent pro-rata for part-time staff).
One Fellowship will be awarded annually. Staff who meet the eligibility criteria may apply for funds to cover personnel (such as a A6 postdoc for 6-months), teaching relief, equipment, maintenance, travel, and professional development such as conference attendance. All funds must be spent within twelve months of the conclusion of the parental leave.
The level of funding will reflect the level of research activity and performance prior to the parental leave. Requests should normally not exceed $60,000. The Award may commence prior to, or upon return to work after the parental leave.
1. Complete FSE Parental Leave Research Fellowship Application Form (via Smartsheet)
2. Attach documentation as specified at 3.3 of the FSE Parental Leave Research Fellowship Procedure – Supporting Statement template available and HoD/DoS Supporting Statement template available
3. Submit by the closing date – 30 November 2018 for 2019 funding; in future, first Friday in July
4. Assessment completed by panel, chaired by the Deputy Executive Dean
5. Outcome communicated to Applicant and Head of Department/Dean of School
6. If successful, allocation communicated to Applicant, Head of Department/Dean of School, Department Manager, Department Administrator (Finance/Staff), and Faculty Finance for processing
Staff Travel Scheme - Science and Engineering
The Faculty of Science and Engineering Staff Travel Scheme was established to ensure strategic and transparent use of Faculty operating funds to support staff travel to domestic and international conferences; international collaborations; visiting researchers; and other work related activities.
Four categories of travel are included in the Scheme:
* ECA / New Staff (Level B-C)
* Teaching Innovation
* International Collaboration
* Visiting Research Fellowship
Application process (excludes Visiting Research Fellowship)
1. Read the FSE Staff Travel Scheme Procedure noting the definitions and eligibility criteria
2. Complete the FSE Staff Travel Scheme Application Form via Smartsheet
3. Attach documentation as specified – template available
4. Submit by due date:
* Inaugural round closes Friday 30 November for 2019 travel
* Round 1 closes on the last Friday in January
* Round 2 closes on the last Friday in May
* Round 3 closes on the last Friday in September
* Out of round applications may be considered in exceptional circumstances, on a case by case basis, subject to funding availability
4. Head of Department / Dean of School completes ranking based on Department / School priorities
5. Assessment completed by panel, comprised of: Chair - Deputy Executive Dean or Associate Dean Research, plus three of: Heads of Department / Dean of School; Professor; A/Professor
6. Communication of application outcome by email. In normal circumstances the outcome will be communicated within one month
Student Service Awards - Science and Engineering
The Faculty of Science and Engineering Student Service Awards were established to recognise and celebrate outstanding service to the Faculty and University student community.
Up to three FSE Student Service Awards will be available each year. Recipients receive a certificate, an entry on the MQ Graduation Statement (AHEGS), and $1,000 (pro-rata if awarded to a team). Awards are presented at the annual FSE Student Awards event in April/May, and recipients are acknowledged on the Faculty website.
An award will only be made when there are nominees of sufficient merit.
All students enrolled in a degree program within the MQ Faculty of Science and Engineering are eligible for consideration for the Award.
Teams/Groups normally consist of a student team of up to 5 members who have worked together to implement or achieve an outstanding service. A majority of the team must be comprised of Faculty of Science and Engineering students, otherwise the team leader should be nominated as an individual.
1. Complete FSE Student Service Award Nomination Form (via Smartsheet)
2. Attach documentation as specified at 3.4 of the FSE Student Service Awards Protocol - Supporting statement template available
3. Submit by 5pm on the third Friday of November
4. Assessment completed by panel, chaired by the Executive Dean
5. Communication of outcome in January, and awards presented at the FSE Student Awards event in April/May